Hope in Perilous Times



So often these days, I find myself troubled over the course of our nation. Then we do something like this: an American rocket liftoff delivering a space capsule, capable of carrying a crew, to an altitude of 3,600 miles above the earth. We haven't sent a crew capsule into that high an orbit since Apollo. I am reminded of Apollo 8, which launched 46 years ago this month. It was the first manned flight to leave earth orbit, enter lunar orbit, and return. The year was 1968, a year that had seen the Tet Offensive in Viet Nam, the murder of Martin Luther King in Memphis, the murder of Robert Kennedy in San Francisco, the Soviet Union's invasion of Czechoslovakia, and rioting at the 1968 Democratic Convention. It was a year of hardship and strife, but, as it came to a close, Apollo 8 gave us something else: a view of the earth from lunar orbit along with a recitation from the book of Genesis on Christmas Eve, 1968 televised to the entire world, and, along with that, hope.



Comments

  1. I was there for that entire year, a teenager. I remember it clearly and now, when I see what 2014 has been like and we end this heartbreaking year with another milestone like this latest mission, I feel much like I did then... sorrowful but with a large topping of hope. Thanks for this post/blog, Tony. It's a real pleasure reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice comments, Candace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lasso

Lawman

Autism